1098T Tuition Statement
Online access to 1098-T Form »
The University at Buffalo partners with Heartland ECSI to deliver the 1098-T statements. The Heartland 1098-T website is available 24/7 providing student information. It allows students to view and print their 1098-T tuition statement.
Navigate to heartland.ecsi.net, then:
- The school identification page will be displayed. In the school name search box, type “University at Buffalo” and click submit.
- The student Identification page will be displayed. Complete the fields for First Name, Last Name, SSN, and Zip Code.
- Click the checkbox “I am not a robot,” then click “continue.”
- Your personal 1098T page will be displayed. Click the (+) to expand the 1098-T Statement section to see your statement details as well as a link to a printer friendly version of your 1098T statement.
- Need Help logging in to Heartland ECSI? Please call 866-428-1098, Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 8:00pm EST.
See the 1098-T Frequently Asked Questions.
Information on the Annual Social Security Number (SSN)/Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Solicitation.
Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits)
The university must file a 1098-T with the IRS for enrolled students with a reportable transaction. The university does NOT report Box 1, student payments, but does report Box 2, the IRS qualified charges assessed during the tax year. Please note, depending on when you enroll for spring classes, your spring charges may post in December when the spring term is billed. The IRS requires us to report the charges according to the date and calendar year of when they are posted.
A 1098-T form is automatically mailed to students with a US citizenship status of native, naturalized, or permanent resident on university records. As required by law, your 1098-T statement will be mailed by January 31st of the following year. Students without one of these three US citizenship statuses, or students with a non-resident alien status will not have a 1098-T automatically generated. To request a 1098-T be generated, please contact the Office of Student Accounts at 716-645-1800 or UBstudentaccounts@buffalo.edu for them. We will generate the current year’s 1098-T upon receipt of your request AND a completed modified W-9S form (PDF). The deadline to request the current tax year’s 1098-T form is July 1st.
We cannot provide tax advice or assistance related to the credit or how to claim the credit. The 1098-T, along with your copy of your UB billing statements, should be used by your tax preparer to determine your eligibility for a tax credit.
The university’s Federal Identification Number is 16-1514621. This number can also be found on your 1098-T statement. Individuals completing the New York State Tax Form IT-272 will use this number for the EIN of the University.