University at Buffalo The State University of New York
North Campus outside in the spring.

Required Documents

Applicants MUST use the current Residency Application for New York State Tuition Purposes (PDF). If older versions of the application are submitted, they will be returned to the applicant and a new application will need to be submitted.

The chart below lists the types of documentation you are required to submit to prove that you have been residing in New York State for at least the past 12 months.

Required documents listed below must be submitted together as a package with the application by the deadline. Documents must support the claim to have resided in New York State for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the term of the application. The columns to the right indicate who the required documents must come from.


  • Summer Term: June 1
  • Fall Term: September 15
  • Winter Session: January 15
  • Spring Term: February 15

Please note: If the deadline falls on a weekend, the deadline is the next business day.

Required Documents
A clear copy of the documents listed below must be enclosed with the application for Residency for Tuition Purposes. Do not send original personal documents. All documents submitted become property of the university for permanent filing. We will not make copies or return originals. Dependent Students

Documents must come from:
Independent Students

Documents must come from:

Proof of citizenship or permanent residency

Must provide a copy of ONE of the following:
  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Passport (Must be signed and not expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card with Picture (Copy both sides)
  • U.S. Passport card (Copy both sides)
Student Student

Non-US Citizen

  • Copy of VISA (Must not be expired) Reference eligible visa code list
Student and Parent Student

Driver’s License

  • NYS Driver’s License (Interim License is not acceptable, Out of State Driver's License is not permissible)
Student and Parent Student

Income Taxes Filed

  • A complete copy of Federal taxes for 2016 fiscal year, signed and dated
  • A complete copy of all State taxes for 2016 fiscal year, signed and dated
If you did not file taxes for the 2016 fiscal year, please submit a letter stating the reason why. The letter must be signed and dated by the taxpayer.
Parent Student

Proof of Housing (reflecting 12 consecutive months prior to start of semester)

  • Copy of deed or proof of home ownership
  • Copy of complete lease agreement (your name must be on the lease)
  • If your lease will expire within 60 days of the start of the semester, include a copy of a renewal, extension or a new lease listing your name, and NYS address
  • If you are submitting a notarized letter from the landlord, it must include the date of the letter, property owner’s name, your name, your NYS address and beginning and end dates of your rental agreement. This must be signed and dated by the landlord and notarized by a NYS Notary Public.
Parent Student

Proof of Established Utilities/Services***

Must provide copies of TWO of the following services. For each service, you must submit a copy of a statement from 12 months prior to the start of the semester **(see below) AND the most current. You will be submitting a total of FOUR documents. You may not submit all four documents from the same company or service. These must include your name and New York State address.
  • Electric
  • Gas/Heating
  • Water
  • Cable/Internet
If utilities are included in your housing agreement, you will need to submit four alternate documents from the list below; two dating back 12 months **(see below) and two most current, listing your name and NYS address.
  • Telephone (home or cell)
  • Credit card statement
  • Auto or home owners/renters insurance
  • NYS bank account statement (no canceled checks/voided checks)
  • Auto loan statement

**Summer - Must be dated May or June of prior year

Fall - Must be dated August or September of prior year

Winter/Spring - Must be dated November or December of prior year

Parent Student


Must provide proof of ONE of the following:
(This document must be in your name and your New York State address)
  • NYS Motor Vehicle or other personal property registration
  • NYS voter registration card
  • NYS W-2 Form (from 2016 tax year)
Parent Student

Supplemental Documentation (where applicable)

  • TA/GA/RA/Fellow: copy of Graduate Tuition Remission/Scholarship Verification Form or department appointment letter (must be signed)
  • **Full time active members of the U.S. Armed Forces: copy of Home of Record form or Military Orders
  • High School Transcript: Non-resident students who attended a NYS high school for two or more years, graduated and applied for admission to the university within five years of receiving a NYS high school diploma; applicable GED also accepted







Please include a cover letter explaining any extraordinary circumstances.

**Members of the U.S. Armed Forces who provide documentation that they are on full-time active duty and stationed in New York State shall be charged in-state tuition regardless of the actual location of their domicile.

***“Contract Statements” showing utilities, letters from the rental/leasing company, and letters from the landlord (stating that utilities are included in your agreement), will not be accepted as proof of utilities/services for this category. Documents related to the university, such as loan statements or billing statements, will not be accepted. You may not submit all 4 documents from the same company or service. Independent students: All documents must list YOUR name; documents may not be submitted in another person’s name.

Copies of documents must be submitted for permanent filing. Student Accounts/1Capen will not make copies or return original documents.

Last updated: September 26, 2017 12:05 pm EST