University at Buffalo The State University of New York
Students having fun outside in the winter on UB's North Campus.

Winter Session FAQ

What is the tuition charge for taking a class during winter session?

The tuition rates for the winter session are the same as the preceding fall term. See the winter tuition and fee schedule.

When must I drop a winter course to avoid financial liability?

Winter course work must be dropped according to the liability deadlines established for winter in order to avoid financial liability for tuition and fees.

When will I receive my tuition bill? When is my tuition bill due?

Students will receive an email containing information about their eBill at their email address only. UB does not generate a paper tuition bill. Students must log into their HUB Student Center to access the billing statement. Current account activity is also available online in the HUB Student Center. The billing schedule provides information on billing dates and due dates. To avoid receiving a late fee, your bill needs to be paid by the due date.

Can I request a duplicate copy of my bill?

You will be able to view and print your eBill statements in your HUB Student Center by clicking on Payment Options in the Finances section.

Can I pay my bill online?

Yes. Online payment (credit card or eCheck) is the University at Buffalo’s preferred payment method. All credit card payments for payment on account must be done through your HUB Student Center.

Is there a payment plan available to pay my bill?

No. The Payment Plan option is only available for fall and spring terms.

What is the Comprehensive Fee?

The Comprehensive Fee is a consolidation of campus-required fees which support several university services. The Comprehensive Fee is referred to as the “Comp Fee” on your tuition bill.

Am I eligible for New York State Residency for tuition purposes?

You will be considered a New York State resident and be charged in-state tuition rates when it has been determined that New York State has been your domicile (e.g. a permanent and principal home in New York State) for a 12-month period prior to the start of the semester. If you are currently being charged out-of-state tuition and feel you are a New York State resident, you may apply for New York State Residency for tuition purposes.

Why do I have a hold on my account?

A hold is placed on your account by a department(s) to suspend certain services until a particular action is taken by the student. The BIL hold is used by Student Accounts to prevent student registration and/or release of student records, including a diploma, enrollment certification, or transcript. You can view your holds in your HUB Student Center.

When will I see aid for the winter session on my student account?

Financial aid will appear as ‘anticipated’ on the student account and labeled as Spring. Only currently enrolled undergraduate University at Buffalo students may be eligible for aid for the winter session. Financial aid eligibility is based upon the combined winter and spring registration. Contact your financial aid advisor prior to registering for winter session courses.

Will my spring financial aid awards pay for my winter session charges?

Your spring financial aid may pay for both winter and spring charges. If your award is not enough to cover both terms, you will see a balance that remains on both the winter and spring term. Keep in mind, additional charges will reduce any anticipated refunds.

How do I purchase my academic books and supplies for winter courses with my Financial Aid funds?

Please visit the UB Card staff at 1Capen to confirm if you are eligible to use financial aid funds in this manner.

When are my loans going to disburse and refund if I take classes during the winter session?

Financial aid funds will disburse to the student’s account in early February, following the spring census date. If there is a credit on the account, refunds will be done after the spring census date.

I have a credit balance on my account. When will I receive my refund?

We will automatically refund credit balances on your account as a result of an adjustment or overpayment of your bill. See Refunds for more information.

Will I be receiving a 1098-T tuition statement?

The university will report to the IRS required information about students who were billed for at least one credit hour in any semester of a tax year. As required by law, 1098-T statements will be mailed by January 31st of the following year. If you were not billed tuition and fees for the preceding year, you will NOT receive a 1098-T. A 1098-T form is mailed to students with a valid social security number on file. If you did not receive a 1098-T but feel you should have one, please contact the Office of Student Accounts.

The 1098-T, along with your copy of your UB billing statements, should be used by your tax preparer to determine your eligibility for a tax credit. Because each taxpayer’s circumstances vary, we cannot provide tax advice or assistance related to the credit or how to claim the credit.

Last updated: November 14, 2017 12:56 pm EST